My favorite writing books
Bird By Bird: Some Instructions on the Writing Life by Anne Lamott – A MUST have!!
On Writing – Stephen King – His stories of perseverance are priceless!
Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury – Get a little Zen when you feel anything but.
10 Tips and Tricks
1. Read, Read and Read in your genre. Know the market, what they re buying, what others are reading and loving.
2. Know and Follow the Rules of Writing for a good year or two before you break them.
3. Never stare at a blank page. Start writing, even if it s crap. It will kick start your brain.
4. Let your characters tell the truth to each other and see where that leads.
5. Know your Internal Conflicts like the back of your hand. It will drive your characters every decision.
6. Try writing an entire scene in just dialogue. Let them talk, argue, play etc.
7. If HER Pov isn’t working, switch over to HIS.
8. Know in your guts that this is what you want to do with your life. Know that it is the hardest, most consuming, most heartbreakingly wonderful job ever. Know that it HAS to be your passion and your obsession to weather the storms.
9. Don t let ANYONE tell you you can’t do it! If you want it bad enough and work your ass off everyday it will happen!!
10. Don t say a negative word about anyone in this business. It will come back to haunt you.
BONUS TIP: Help other authors, Mentor when you can, Build up; don’t tear down.
The moment you feel jealous of an author, offer them your help and your positive word of mouth! Negativity breeds more and darker negativity. Be a cheerleader because frankly we’re all in this together.